Please help me with mobile porting

Forum for discussion on Game porting for mobile phones and j2me supported devices including device information.

Please help me with mobile porting

Postby abhi_maag » Sat May 19, 2007 6:49 am

Hi,

I
abhi_maag

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Sat May 19, 2007 10:18 am

Learning about porting is good and the right time. To start with porting mobile games, you will need some resources like 2 or 3 mobile models to start with and good knowledge about J2ME. First of all, develop an application/game with the help of emulator and then try sending the same to the mobile. Usually try it in mobile models of different manufacturers. Only then you will understand the difficulty and the pain in porting.

Simply speaking "Porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed". Actually for a well designed and intelligent game engine which can adopt to any screen sizes, and memory capabilities there isnt much pain during porting. But inorder to get good efficiency most games are developed for specific screen sizes. Where the initial game will be developed for a purticular screen size and then during porting they changes the resuorces and tune the game to work on different screen sizes.

During Game development in our company we develope the game for 176x208 screen and then once the game is working good on emulator and tested for all features, we start porting to different screensizes.

Other than screen sizes, keypad codes and resource formats (sound etc) there are other difficuilties where some devices have some bugs native APIs to achieve good speed. Once you try out making a game run on a particular device you will learn what are the difficuilties.

Good luck
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Thanks a lot!!!!

Postby abhi_maag » Mon May 21, 2007 4:51 am

Hi,
Thanks a lot; I really appreciate the prompt reply and the help in guiding me with mobile porting. If you could let me know some online tutorials or books that can help me get started. Even some documents that you have can also be of great help.

With regards
Abhilash
(abhilashemail@gmail.com)
abhi_maag

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Mon May 21, 2007 4:56 am

I am not sure if there can be such document or tutorial which can really help beginers for Porting. My strong advice would be trying to start working with a handset. Coz there is a about porting and hard to compile a book on porting. Once you start on porting it will get simple and easier. Also if you want soem tutorials on j2me I can help.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby abhi_maag » Mon May 21, 2007 5:20 am

Is there any software that simulates different hand sets because buying different hand sets at this point of time does not seem feasible for me. Also I would appreciate some help with J2ME tutorial or books (which in turn helps me in porting).
abhi_maag

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Mon May 21, 2007 5:31 am

There are emulators available for all handsets you can download them form the manufacturer's website. Also these emulators will be useful for the begining stage. I'll soon post the links for tutorials here.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby abhi_maag » Mon May 21, 2007 5:40 am

Thank you and hoping for more help and support as and when i start porting...
abhi_maag

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Mon May 21, 2007 5:47 am

I am sure your'll get the max help from our forum. happy learning...
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby abhi_maag » Tue May 29, 2007 5:08 am

hi,
please help me with some J2ME tutorial or books (which in turn helps me in porting).

awaiting ur reply
Abhi
abhi_maag

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed May 30, 2007 9:10 am

DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby hemavarthini » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:13 am

I am not able to paste my game coding.Hope u understand that.So first I will write some sample application with two or more http connections and I will check it out.After that I will update u.Thanks
hemavarthini

Return to Mobile Game Porting and Testing