Some M3G questions for skinned Meshes and so on.

Forum for discussion on 3D games for mobile platform and doubts related to M3G, Mascot capsule and other rendering engines.

Some M3G questions for skinned Meshes and so on.

Postby Art1977 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi i´am writing my diploma thesis and m3g is a part of it, the actual title is:

Analysis and practical application of real-time 3D character creation and implementation, exemplary for a real-time application with the help of the XNA - Framework in C # and M3G in Java.

In this application there will only be this one character, noting else.
I want to create some walkcycle and idle animation and use this in the application by keypress.

At the moment i´am modelling the Charakter for the XNA - Application. The Polycount will be 10.000 Tris. But i didn´t really know how much tris are performant on the m3g application for my optimised model. Also i can´t find anything about the supported texture maps. (Color,Spec, Bump etc...).

For the animation i don´t know how many bone influences are supported by m3g. Typical it should be 4 but m3g is surely less.

Also for the export of the model. Just pure Bones and Smooth Bind Mesh without any IK-Handles etc..?
Art1977

Re: Some M3G questions for skinned Meshes and so on.

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:28 am

For the application to be installed on many phones you have to keep the poly count less than 2000, yes it is less than 2000 and even the total ploy in any world can be kept less than 2000 for better results. You can use images or blank colors for texture.
Another surprising thing is we don't use bones in many of our models. Instead its really easy to work with simple structures. As the CPU is really weak.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby Art1977 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 am

Thx for your reply.

You mean 2000. for the whole Scene (all Objects on the Screen?). I´am not limited to support many phones. It will only be displayed in an emulator, mayabe for the most powerful phone(do you know, which is the strongest at the moment?) After considering this: http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp
,it should be a nokia type.

Can i use multiple texture maps for one Material / Object. Is it possible to use different texture maps for example for the assets like holster, weapon etc... and for the body. And has the 3d character consists of one seamless geometry or could it be seperated for example ( Head, Upperbody, Lowerbody) + Bones.

For the Bones, do you know the limits about bone influences per vertex ?

Many thx for your reply
Art
Art1977

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:00 am

N95 should be the best from my point of view for a 3D game.

2000 polygon I was speaking on 6630 which I remember is the first device to support m3g and other new phones even with low CPU.

N95 can render much faster and if you are going to work on emulator, you can use the same character you use for PC.

Sony Ericsson supports multiple textures for same object in its mascut capsule engine. but I doubt it is supported in JSR-184

regarding bones, we have not worked with bones till today for M3G. We actually stopped using bones long ago for some reason.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby Art1977 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:31 am

Ok thx for your information.

Why did you stop working with bones ?
Art1977

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:49 am

yes, we are check on it. As we stopped working with bones after some good research on it and found it was easier without bones to move an object.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby Art1977 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:59 am

Ok, and about this? Could this cause problems:

Has the 3d character consists of one seamless geometry or could it be seperated for example ( Head, Upperbody, Lowerbody) + Bones.
Art1977

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:25 am

it can be separated as small object for the ease of moving it. We usually do it as separate objects and move them separately .
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby Art1977 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:44 pm

Ok, thx. Btw. i will try to use some bones. It would be an success for me, if i can only bring him to the screen.
Art1977

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 am

Please do post here if it was a success. Meanwhile, am sure bone are easy to work with. But may be it uses heavy CPU and we should have avoided it.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby Art1977 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:49 am

Oh, think when it comes to the m3g part, there will be some questions and i will post the process of the development here.

Btw. thanks for your help.
Art1977

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:56 am

Please do post your progress, Thanks.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby Art1977 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:56 am

Ok, here is my problem:

I get managed to export my 3D - Charakter with bones and to show him on screen.

I made a short idle cycle and try to export it. I can see my char in pose inside my m3g application and in the m3g viewer. But there is animation exported with the char.

I can´t see any animation, if a try to press the play button in the m3g Exporter.......

I used the M3G Exporter von HiCorop Plugin for Maya. But it doesn´t export the animationclip i made.

Please i need some help, because this is for my diploma thesis......

Here is a screenshot after the application start:

Art1977

Postby Art1977 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:24 am

After looking into the sceneGraph Tree, it seems, that he doesn´t export the bones..................

But why? Do i have to place all objects or rename all objects properly before export?
Art1977

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 am

When we use animations, we don't use bones, but just animate the character manually and export the animation which has to be named. You can now import the animation using a particular class in J2ME and cycle the animation index to show different positions. This is how we do. For example, we have attached our human model with animation. All that we could do is show these files for now. :) Check this out and tell me if you have any more problems.
Attachments
m3g_models_with_animation.zip
Human model we used for skeeing game
(141.38 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Next

Return to 3D Mobile Game (M3G)