3D mesh export problem

Forum for discussion on 3D games for mobile platform and doubts related to M3G, Mascot capsule and other rendering engines.

3D mesh export problem

Postby ladty » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:09 pm

Hello everyone,

me and my friend are trying to realise a 3d game project using 3d models on mobile phones in m3g format.
We are using M3G Viewer for export control  and 3ds Max 9 trial for export of 3d meshes.
Problem is, that we get unexpected errors and fault mesh orientation/proposition in the M3G Viewer program after seamless export from max 9.Sometimes it exports something that is allright and nextime it exports the same model faulty...
As you can see...we have serious trouble with even the basic mesh exports to m3g format.
Can anybody tell me why it is happening or how to prevent it (without changing the export program-max9- if possible)?
What are the rules or restrictions for exporting 3d models from max to m3g?
Some basic guidlines would be very helpfull.
Thanks in advance.
ladty

Re: 3D mesh export problem

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:26 am

It has been a while since we worked on 3d games, but all that we can explain is listed below.

Keep polygons big
1) When you try working with human models, keep the number of triangles as much less as possible.
2) Mobile device doesnt recognize very small polygons if the difference between 2 points is less than a pixel (in decimal) So you model should be relatively huge and boxy, you cannot create a fine shiny model with fine curves when it comes to mobile platform. If you see the 3d game in this link, the model will have boxes with very bad human anatomy, and this is how it is suppose to be for mobile devices.
3) Keep less textures as possible.
4) Keep terrains in small files and probably try using same terrain again and again to keep loading faster.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby ladty » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:59 pm

Yeah, thanks for these tips, I know I must keep the models as lowpoly as I can, but that doesn't explain my problems with export. Maybe it should be slow in game with higher number of polygons and textures, but it should look like in the 3ds max... So you never had any problems with exporting to m3g? Which program (and/or plugin) you were using to do this?
ladty

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:07 am

We used 3d Studio max, and had problem in exporting, yes. It took us nearly one month to bring up the right human model on the device. The reason that the model doesnt look the same is, the decimal are rounded when it is converted to whole numbers, and the triangle with less resolution are omitted. This is why the model looks different on the device or m3g platform.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby ladty » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:18 pm

Yes, I thought that... But our problems looks a little bit different - here is screenshot from 3ds max (on the left) and from m3g viewer (on the right):
His left leg and arm are rotated 180° around X (or Y? doesn't matter) axis (I really don't know why), and in addition, he is headless :shock: I coul'd post here some more "defective" exports but it's not necessary if you never had these problems...
PS: it's the same even if I scale it to 10000 :|
ladty

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:10 am

Are you using bones for joints?
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:14 am

Meanwhile, we had similar problems during m3g export and its nothing new. We are familiar with these odd shapes and good fun. All we did to avoid this is reduced polygons and totally avoided using cylinders for head. Yes, its painful, I know. Make sure, no 2 points have difference in decimals for their axis.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby ladty » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:25 am

No, there are no bones in this model.
So thanks a lot for your help, we'll try what you said, I hope it will help us. Thanks :wink:
ladty

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:11 pm

oh, ok. If you need more help please post here. Happy coding. ;)
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Return to 3D Mobile Game (M3G)