Need help to break game-developement int tasks

forum for general chat discussion on personal information about members. Anything but spam is allowed here :-)

Need help to break game-developement int tasks

Postby jestan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:27 am

Hi, i am new to j2me and my team( 5 members) has taken developping multiplayer bluetooth game as our 2nd year project. My problem is how to identify or break this project into tasks (assume that , the project is developping a bluetooth game for mobiles, whose sever running on a pc or dedicated server) and allocate to each member. I could not identify independant or dependent tasks also. My group is rushing through some books on MIDP and bluetooth programming and started a Tic-tac-toe game as example, for two clients( we planned to develop a turn based game not tic-tac-toe ) . Here i need only generic tasks for a game-developement . Examples will be helpfull. Those who are know these things , please help me
jestan

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:52 am

1) Core Game.
2) Other than game (features like menu, splash, sound settings, About screens etc)
3) Multiplayer engine with bluetooth as said
4) Porting and testing on device.

These are the modules you can split at this stage... Even in this the porting can be started only after the complete game is ready.

All the best and feel free to post your doubts here.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Lot of thanks to codetiger and need more help!

Postby jestan » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:17 am

Hi, thanks a lot to codetiger. Now i have some doubts about core game and multiplayer engine. With my little knowlege, i think core game will be developed by extending classes in MIDP 2.0 like game, layermanager, sprite, ect.... . But i could not understand how to develop multiplayer engine with bluetooth. Could you please split core-game and multiplayer-engine with bluetooth into more tasks.

I have some books about MIDP programming ,Java game programming and bluetooth programming. But i don't have a book about mobile multiplayer game programming which describe the topic well. Please suggest some books also.
jestan

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:36 pm

The multiplayer mobile game engine idea is just simple. The server should act like a network hub or router... All devices will be given a name or ip number when they register with the server for a game. Thus the server will act as DHCP server here. and all furthur data exchange with the device to the server and from the server will hold the ip number which will tell the server that it is the device which had already registered and playing against this ip. and the information from one device should be passed to other devices by the server. As we only have pull type connection from the J2ME the client should frequently check with the server if the other player has finished his chance. Otherwise wait. And when the data has come the device shoud acknowledge the server. To be precise the transfer is similar to TCP/IP and DHCP or you can read about Session initiation protocol..
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Creating a SRS for a mobilegame

Postby jestan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:46 am

hi, i am developing a bluetooth multiplayer game and i am in the starting point. The project is under second year ICT design project, so i asked by the superviser to submit SRS (Software Recquirement Specification) and he gave a template. My problem is i have to make a custom SRS document for project. The given example document is too generic and is not related to mobile game development. I couldn't find a example related to mobile game development. Can some one help or give a sample SRS.
jestan

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 am

Same question about SRS is answered here

viewtopic.php?p=600#600

Incase of furthur doubts please post your specific doubts rather than asking bulk information
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Return to Chit-Chat