HTC P3450 Software keyboard Problem

Forum for J2ME mobile games related topics including programming doubts, books and other resources for J2ME game development

HTC P3450 Software keyboard Problem

Postby menis » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:14 pm

Hello all,

I am developing a j2me application for a list of handsets including
HTC P3450(windows mobile/touch screen). I am almost finished but i am facing a serious problem in the
last handset.The problem that i have is that when i am using htc's virtual keyboard and type some
characters like a,b,c the Midlets hangs. This does NOT occur when i am using the virtual keyboard
for the numeric characters like 1,2,3..etc.

I am handling keyboard input in the same way that i am handling it the for any another handset ie Nokia N-73,
meaning that i am materializing the method
keyPressed (int keyCode){
//some code here
;
}
(so i can set in my class one varialble like 'mykeyCode' the keycode that (i suppose)jvm generates when a user presses a button)
AND i use getGameAction(mykeyCode) to decode the keycode pressed in the proper action.
The class in which keypressed() and getGameAction() is used is MyMidletCanvas which is extending GameCanvas class.

As i tested without using getGameAction() or using another Test midlet in which is a class Canvas or Gamecanvas
(i 've tried both cases) and materializing keypressed() the Midlet HANGS is the same way.Namely when i am pressing
chars like a,b,c AND not for the numeric characters.

As i also tested using another Test Midlet 'MyMidlet' which is NOT a canvas (or GameCanvas) but
uses only high level components like Textfield.As i noticed using keyboard characters like a,b,c
does NOT cause Midlet to crash, but i can see that they are entered OK in the textfield.

What seems to be the problem?
How can we solve that?
a)creating a custom input area like a auxilary canvas(and not use HTC's software keyboard?)
b)another more gentle solution?

Thank you

NiKolaos
menis

Re: HTC P3450 Software keyboard Problem

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:15 am

Incase when we need to port an application to really wide number of handsets we ofter use Canvas. This is to avoid some solutionless bugs in few devices, only when you need a single build that can run on all devices. otherwise you can happily do this stuff only for the buggy devices. Meanwhile we haven't worked with htc yet. But a simple solutions should be firstly check the known bugs of the devices if find if there is any solution given. or there is noway you will have to switch to canvas to keep away from bugs.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby menis » Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:37 am

codetiger,

Thanks for your triggered reply, but the problem IMHO is NOT the use or not Canvas or GameCanvas. I tested
the midlet using Canvas and i had the same results(Midlet crashed again). As i said in my initial post i noticed
that with high UI components the soft keyboard of htc works just fine BUt for the Canvas or GameCanvas crashes!
This is something that i DO NOT understand.

How can i check the known bugs of the devices and for my case of HTC's device? Where should i check?

Thank you very much

NiKolaos
menis

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:37 am

Known bugs
We usually check this db. But I am not sure if they have added htc. Otherwise you need to post in the manufacturer's Developer forum.
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Return to J2ME Games