Getting Started with JBuilder

Forum for J2ME mobile games related topics including programming doubts, books and other resources for J2ME game development

Getting Started with JBuilder

Postby JonnyJP » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi,

I'm starting to get to grips with programming mobile games in java and found this tutorial to get me started...

http://www.developer.com/java/j2me/article.php/3502741

I've downloaded and installed all the sdk's apis and the toolkits etc, compiled the sample code with J2ME wireless toolkit and it loads and plays fine.

The problem I'm having is how to get the files to build in JBuilder (so I can use it's debugging features - i.e. breakpoints). I mainly use c/c++ and haven't touched Java for a couple of years so am struggling to get back into it.

Ideally I'd need a step by step guide how to do this, or an empty JBuilder (ver 4) project. It appears the difficulty lies with setting the project properties to point to the right locations (and I've forgotten what's involved!!).

Or if there is another solution that doesn't include JBuilder (that's free) then that would be a great help too.

Cheers guys
JonnyJP

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:46 am

We have Netbeans, which is free opensource and the ultimate one for Java and J2ME. For J2ME we have additional package called Netbeans mobility pack. Install both and then all you want to do is create a project. Incase you dont know any specific project properties you can post here. :) All the best
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Postby JonnyJP » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:57 am

Cheers, could you post a link where I can download them from please?

I reckon I'll need help with the project settings. Also, I've only got JBuilder 4 which I'm guessing should be out of date by now?
JonnyJP

Postby DevelopmentTeam » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:02 am

check http://www.netbeans.org for the latest version of both mobility pack and thier IDE...
DevelopmentTeam
Site Admin

Re: Getting Started with JBuilder

Postby JonnyJP » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your help. I've been busy over the past few weeks so haven't got started yet on my project. I'm just downloading Netbeans now so I'm sure you'll hear from me soon when I get stuck!

Cheers again
JonnyJP

Return to J2ME Games